Wednesday, October 9, 2013

I can’t believe I used to be embarrassed by this.

-->
For the first six months that I was a Jazzercise instructor, I was too embarrassed to tell anyone. I wasn’t sure how my family and friends would react. I knew my loved ones would have questions, whether or not they gave voice to them:
  • What is Jazzercise anyway? Isn’t that a fad from the 80s? The one with the legwarmers?
  • Why aren’t you focused on getting a real job?
  • You’re spastic, remember?
  • You’re too fat to be a fitness instructor! (This was a variation on an old theme from my mother, who once claimed I was “too fat to faint.”)

Still, I’d known I wanted to get up on that stage from my very first class. The dance-fitness program’s combination of theatricality, fun, and physical intensity appealed to me. Regular classes had already improved my endurance, energy and fitness level. Instructors often commented on how I smiled through every class. It was obvious that I enjoyed the workout. With its endless variety of moves and super current music, I was never bored.

But I was ready for the next challenge.

I had been immersed in the world of nursing and diapers and mommy groups for five years after quitting my corporate job, and I was in no hurry to return to an office setting. With the kids in preschool and a husband supporting us, the timing seemed right. So after many, many weeks of testing and training, I finally became a Jazzercise franchisee.

Becoming an instructor was a form of reinvention for me, though not in ways I’d expected. I lost more weight and toned muscle, of course. But I also began to feel more graceful and walk with better posture. I smiled more than ever – on and off the stage. I gained confidence as a public speaker. I led my children in nightly dance parties. I gave myself permission to act goofy. I made lots of mistakes on stage in front of large groups of women. And as my customers forgave me, I learned to forgive myself. Perhaps most surprisingly, I began to see myself as a role model for my kids, my husband, and my customers.

Slowly I gained more confidence in my abilities, and began telling family and friends about Jazzercise. I corrected their ideas about legwarmers and leotards, and encouraged them to check out a class. But by the time I got around to sharing my news with family and friends, it no longer mattered what they thought of me. I was hooked.

Now, six years later, when I’m on that stage four times a week, I am still a version of my former self. That spastic, nerdy girl comes out when I occasionally flub a move, or when I make a geeky reference to Pi Day or Glee and I’m greeted by blank stares.

But I’m also a new, better version myself.

On that stage, I am a performer, a mentor, a sadist, a cheerleader, a therapist, a conspirator, a ringleader, a troublemaker, a choral director, a friend, and I’m the host of the hottest party in town. I’m good at what I do, and I’m thrilled to share it with others.

If I can make just one other person smile and sweat with me, I’ll have done my part in making the world a kinder, healthier place. How many people can say this about their jobs, or even their pastimes?

These days, I’m not so shy about telling people that I teach Jazzercise. It is not everything that I am or all that I do, but I hope it always will be a part of me. This version of myself – the confident, strong, flexible and charming Tammy that comes out on stage and occasionally spills over into the rest of my life – this is a version that I’m happy to keep around.

13 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. It's like your read my mind and typed it out. I've been an instructor for a little over two years and love it too! - Cristyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep on dancing Cristyn -- may we both be jazzing all the way to the grave!

      Delete
  2. beautifully said. captures what many of us instructors feel. i can hear the passion in your written word. thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me tear! Instructor for 2 years and I feel the same way. :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be proud of your accomplishments, and keep spreading the love!

      Delete
  4. Growing up I was always active and athletic. There is no other workout that gives me the endurance to do everything else I want to! I love being a Jazzercise Instructor! 8 yrs now. Tried many other types of exercise, even led other types of group exercise and this is the only one I found that does everything I need for fitness, health and that over all feeling of well being!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I found that I kept coming back to Jazzercise,because of the quality of the program, the energy it gives me, and because I'm STILL never bored.

      Delete
  5. Love, love love your blog! I work in the Jazzercise Mktg Dept and I shared your blog on our social media channels, as I think many instructors out there have had some of these same reservations and overcome them through teaching. Will you send me your contact info. to ncox@jazzercise.com? Would love to keep in touch. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 53 I started jazzercise 6 years ago lost 45 pounds and decided to become a instructor this February

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Go for it! You won't regret it.

      Delete
  7. Hey, we all have something strange from our past! Embrace it because that's a part of you! You're great.

    ReplyDelete

If you're having trouble leaving a comment, send me an email at tammyjkleinman [at] gmail.com to let me know.