Tuesday, December 16, 2014

It Seemed Like a Good Idea

Here's another "cookie" from Baking With Julia. They're called mint-chocolate nightcaps. The nightcap refers to the 'hat' of ganache on top. Cute, huh?

Mint, chocolate, cookies, ganache. What could go wrong? 

Turns out, quite a bit.

When you're hoping for a gussied up homemade mint oreo* and you end up with this, there's bound to be some disappointment among the wee ones (and among the big folks too). 

The cookie sandwiches were really cake in disguise, which was very difficult to eat with your hands. More importantly, the cookies did not compliment the texture of the filling. Perhaps I was a bit heavy-handed on the mint in the ganache, because what I ended up with as both stuffer and sombrero could only be described as mint chocolate toothpaste. Sounds delicious, right?

Wrong.

After snapping a few photos, we ended up scrapping the ganache all together. Then, after licking the sticky chocolate remains off our fingers for a few more days, most of the cookie-cakes also landed in the trash.

Ah well, they can't all be winners. It looks like some of the other TWD bakers may have fared better. Check out their results here.

PS: It turns out there really is such a thing as mint-chocolate toothpaste. Check out these food-inspired toothpastes, from Crest. The flavors were created based on customer feedback, so somebody must have thought it was a good idea. Yeah, me too.
_____________________

*I can't remember the last time I actually ate an Oreo, mint or otherwise, but they definitely made an impression.

2 comments:

  1. These were a bust for me too - and I was so looking forward to these. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate mint toothpaste...oh my...

    This one did have some practical difficulties for sure.

    ReplyDelete

If you're having trouble leaving a comment, send me an email at tammyjkleinman [at] gmail.com to let me know.